1 pound 80/20 ground beef
½ pound bacon diced
1 large sweet onion diced
5 garlic cloves chopped
1 large link chorizo chopped fine
2 bottles negra modelo beer or another other lager with a rich flavor
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup each kidney, pinto, black and navy beans soaked and cooked or from the can. (directions for
soaking and cooking below)
2 jalapenos seeded and diced
2 serano seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2-3 whole dried chilis (depending on level of spice you want) – Soaked in boiled water until
tender then seed and blend in food processor with a little water
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Chipotle chili powder
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute ground beef in a deep heavy bottomed pot or instapot.until browned. Remove meat
from pan and pour off the fat and juice.
2. Add bacon and cook until fat is starting to render out but bacon is not crisp. Remove bacon
from the pan, leaving the fat behind.
3. Add onion and garlic to pot and saute until vegetables start to sweat.
4. Add the beer and tomato paste and boil for 2 minutes.
5. Add your meat including the chopped chorizo back into the pot
6. Add tomatoes, peppers and spices to the pot and cook for about an hour
7. Add cooked beans to the chli and cook for another ½ hour
8. Add water if chili gets too thick making sure to stir occasionally to keep it from sticking to the
9. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper
For Beans – soak beans overnight or for at least 6 hours. To cook the beans place them in a pot
covered with at least 3 inches of water. Add a piece of onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, bay leaf and
salt to the pot. Cook for one hour or until tender.