1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1½ cups brown sugar tightly packed
¼ cup sugar
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup miniature buckeyes
¼ cup confetti sprinkles, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the baking pan with parchment paper so that is comes up all four sides. Set aside.
2. Combine the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add the whole eggs and yolk plus the vanilla extracted mix well. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
4. Mixing on low speed, gradually ad the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until completely combined.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan, using your hands to press and spread the batter evenly into the pan. Top with the buckeyes and sprinkle with sprinkles (see photos).
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares or rectangles.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
“For the best look, trim the edges of the cookie bars. The look is so much more appealing when the outside edges are trimmed and each slice/bar looks the same. We eat with our eyes before we do with out mouths. Plus, there’s no fighting over who gets the better piece. And if neither of those reasons convinces you, how about the good fortune that whoever trims the bars of the outside crust gets to eat them.”
Makes 16 servings.